Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Delightful Ten: They’re Playing Our Song

I am an excited, happy fan girl when I found out that Nikki Gil will star in the newest project of 9 Works Theatrical. I am truly delighted when they announced that They’re Playing Our Song, a hit musical comedy will be staging in RCBC on the love month of 2013. I’ve seen the success of Sweet Charity, and I knew TPOS (without biased) will be trending also.

I am very grateful to be invited in the press night of TPOS. This means I’m gonna be among the first ones who can watch the show which happens before their first opening night. I really wish I had this media related career, doing plays, concerts, and movie reviews, and the perks of watching those for free.


I have listed here my favorite moments on They’re Playing Our Song.

1.  Sonia’s Fashion. This adds to the comedic scenes in the story. All praises to wardrobe team for coming up with brilliant (but do not copy except in costume parties) Sonia dresses. I really adore the pink blazer and long skirt during the first scene and the red riding hood costume she wore.

2.  Sonia’s Personality. I was laughing the whole time because of Sonia’s witty, indecisive, adventurous, and overly-attach-to-Leon attitude. Her being fun-loving inspires us to become optimistic in life. Her indecisiveness reminds me of waking-up-in-the-morning-is-such-a-hard-thing-to-do. We all have this alarm clock snooze moment and say 5 more minutes, or 10, and so on. It’s funny how she changes schedule easily and not following it either. Sonia as adventurous woman and a dreamer is an inspiring one. This reminds me of the saying “Seize the day” and “Live while were young”. Lastly, her love-hate-love relationship with Leon are the scenes to laugh about also.

3.  Vernon’s Personality. A successful composer who criticized Sonia’s songwriting. One of the scenes I won’t forget must be the Sonia’s lyrics evaluation. That moment when she picked Fallin’ as the perfect song, and the song that he like because of few parts only. I adore his patience for Sonia, his journal recording that I found cute too, and the dancing gracefully scenes. Oh and his love for Sonia that made me say aaaaaaaw.

4.  The Props/Stage. I love love the wonderful stage. The few props didn’t look awkward. The circular, rotating stage is an excellent idea, as they get the back portion done for the next scene. The road trip scene must be my favorite props performance, wherein they insert road signs while the stage is rotating which make driving looks real. I like Vernon’s home, Sonia’s home, the mistaken cottage room, the disco, the hospital, and all. Just lovely.

5.  The Songs. This musical play is a feel good one, because of the songs perfect for the plot. The story of the composer and songwriter revolves around making music and making it big in the industry. Nonetheless, the most meaningful thing that happened is the love that blossoms as they work together as musicians.

6.  The Leon. The very popular Leon. I have love and hate him too. I love him because he made Sonia happy and Sonia made us happy too when she talks about him. I hate him though because he broke Sonia’s heart and he still enters to scene when Sonia and Vernon is happily together.  I guess it’s nice that they don’t include Leon in the cast. We’ve all had in our imagination of Leon’s face and physical look. And when the phone rings, it reminded us of Leon. Hihi

7.   The Voices. The soul voices of Vernon and Sonia are fascinating too. The boy and girl group has contributed fun, excitement, and lively ambiance. They sing and dance beautifully and stand out individually, too.

8.  The Cast. It’s my first time to watch a theater show with 8 roles only. Some might find it boring, but this one is perfect. To think that this one is a musical, a big production is expected. However, 9WT didn't make it wrong when they've decided to stage TPOS, revolving around Sonia’s solo, Vernon’s solo, and just background voices. This made me proud of Nikki and Lorenz too, because it is definitely no rest for their voice during the almost 3-hour play.

9.   Elle, Charity, Sonia. During the press night, Nikki was asked how she’d differentiate the roles of Elle, Charity, and Sonia because basically all roles portray a witty lady. Nikki says she create 3 column table and listed the personalities of 3 ladies. There she found out how she will not mingle the 3 characters. I’ve watch Legally Blonde and Sweet Charity, and I must say that Nikki has interprets Sonia’s personality in her own way, in her own style, uniquely.

10.   The Piano. The significance of piano in the play is the one I noticed also. A very important instrument for Vernon, the musician. It was his bestfriend while waiting patiently for Sonia, and when Sonia finally came, it’s their pal at work. And the little piano Sonia gave to Vernon while he is in the hospital. The piano keys in the stage background is amusing too.
Press Q & A

Sonia and the Nixters
Sonia and Jessa

No comments:

Post a Comment