Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Project 30 Day Blog 19/30

Day 19 - Nicknames you have; why do you have them

I love the idea of giving names. From pets, to toys, to gadgets. From code name, to pen name, to terms of endearment. And the sweetest name you'll ever hear is yours...or not. Haha. it's one of the first thing you owned. Sometimes, you weren't born yet or your parents haven't met yet, you already have a name. After learning the strokes of alphabet, you'll immediately have to learn to write your full name. You don't want to forget your name in your test paper. When you meet a new friend, the very first thing you'll ask is his/her name. When you received a text message with unknown number, you'll ask "Who's this?" or reply the famous "Hu u?" Your name is the bida in your i.d. aside from your photo. And aminin, if you hate a person and met someone with the same name, you'll feel a bit bitterness because he/she reminds you the person you not so like. And when you met someone with the same name as yours, there's this feeling of easiness and you simply jive. Having a name is just amazing. I deeply appreciate it as a write this blog. All of us got different stories about our names. On how other people mispell and mispronounce it, on where our parents got it, or how others came up with those cute, silly nicknames for us. As for me, I got a lot of nicknames. From my first name Jessa Maye, they didn't had a hard time to play with the letters in order to give me a decent nickname.

At 22, the following are the names that I acquired:

At school, I am known as Jessa since elementary until sophomore in high school then early college years. And because, popular people also have the same name as mine, I am Jessa Zaragosa and Jessa bel, most of the time.Version: Dyeza (a college friend's pauso)

I am Maye at home. My family call me Maye, sometimes, May, even Mae. But I wasn't born on the month of May. I love the uniqueness of Maye, the combination of May and Mae. During Christmas gift giving, I rarely get the correctly spelled name in gift cards.

My high school buddy named me Esai. From the root word, Jessa, it became Esay and sometimes Esai. When someone calls me by that nickname, you'll know, he/she's a high school friend.

Jeez. Hi I'm Jez. My name transformed from Jessa to Jez/Jess/Jes back in college. I'm liking it and until now, I use it as name for social media sites.

Memae/Maemae. Paulit ulit. Market Market. Unli. My niece calls me Memae, not Tita, not Ninang, and not even Ate. It's cool, though. So another little niece copied her.

Tamae is really special to me. That one person, that great person gave it to me. I don't know how Lolo Teo came up with that name. All I know is, when someone called, oh, shouted "Tamae", it's my lolo dearest. Eventually, when I grew up, I realized that Tamae came from Tamad Mae, Tamad Tamae. Haha. Miss you, Lolo, and Lola.

I am Shamae when I'm with the family on Mama's side. I got this nickname when my cousin had a hard time saying my first name, Jessa Maye. She was three then, and so she pronounced it as Shamae. Same as with my cousin Danielle, who became Anye. Version: Chamae

Gail sounds adorable yet the memories were bit terrible. The name I had when I am puppy loving.

I actually have surname versions too. From Olores, to Olares, to Olorez, even Olors.

And talking about names, I have favorites also.

Adrielle
Andre'
Atom
Nate
Yael
Yan
Zac

Athena
Bianca
Danela
Francesca
Millicent
Monica
Nikki
Pauline
Samantha

How about you, what's the story behind your names? I'd love to hear. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment